Chicken Tetrazzini (& comparing pastas)

>> 5.18.2010

I have to admit that sometimes my taste buds miss our old way of cooking.  I'm sure this will go away eventually, especially as I continue to tweak my "old" recipes to make them more nutritious.  One thing in particular I miss is (not so much the taste of but the texture of) "regular" pasta.  I've tried sprouted pasta, which has a phenomenal whole-grain flavor but lacks the smooth consistency of white rice pasta.  Recommended from Kimi at The Nourishing Gourmet was the brown rice pasta from Trader Joes.  This is what I'm currently using (it is extremely frugal at only $1.99 for 16 oz.) and it has a smoother consistency then the sprouted and the taste is great, but my 3 little boys are not big fans. 

I have been wanting for some time now to try Tinkyada rice pasta (it contains no wheat, gluten, soy, egg, corn, dairy, casein, meat or nut).  Jen had ordered a big box of it from Amazon last week and kindly gave me a package to try out.  WOW!! I Loved it!! Everyone loved it!  We tried the white rice pasta (can't wait to try the brown rice next!) and both taste and texture was delightful.  The price is...well...worth it. =)  The real test is going to come tomorrow when I make my boys some buttered pasta for lunch but I have a hunch that all will be well.  I promise to update if there is any objections =)  Here is the recipe for the Chicken Tetrazzini I tried Tinkyada's pasta in:
  • 8 oz. Spaghetti
  • 2 cups cooked & chopped chicken
  • 8 oz. cremini mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup butter, separated
  • 1/4 cup flour (I use sprouted spelt)
  • 3/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 TBS cooking sherry
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  1. Preheat your oven to 350.  Lightly grease a 9x13 Pyrex pan.
  2. In a skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter (I use a little more) and saute mushrooms for 10-15 minutes.  Reserve the juices from the mushrooms.
  3. After you get your mushrooms going, start to cook your pasta to al dente (a more firm texture, usually 8-10 min); drain and set aside.
  4. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat.  Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth.  Remove from heat and gradually stir in the chicken stock and cream. 
  5. Return to heat and bring to low boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Add in the sherry and remove from heat.  Combine the chopped chicken, mushrooms and reserved juices and pasta with the cream sauce.  Pour into prepared baking dish and top with Parmesan cheese.  Bake 30 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.
I paired this with some sauteed sugar snap peas.  Enjoy =)


 Photobucket

1 comments:

Jenna May 22, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

I am very new to the "nourishing" way of eating, and just trying to figure things out as I go. Question about the pasta - do people avoid the pasta because it is a grain that has not been soaked?

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP