Easy and Nutritious lunches for kids (fried rice)

>> 5.21.2010


Anne and I always talk about what we should be giving our kids for lunch. It is a meal that gets overlooked so often (at least in my house!) during the busy days. Yet, with a little effort, they can be nourished and can enjoy a good meal in the middle of the day. I have noticed a huge difference in my kids when they eat well for lunch during the "witching hour", that 4:00-5:00 time that they seem to be so difficult. They need good fats at lunch to replenish to be able to face the rest of their day. They also need to fill up so they don't drive you crazy begging for snacks all afternoon! Here is one I go to very often, not very different from my regular fried rice, just a little more kid friendly.
IMG_6532
Start with some leftover cold rice and coconut oil. I always use coconut oil for the kids, I think it is especially great for them! I try to find little ways to sneak it in and this is an easy one. Warm up a couple of Tablespoons and add the rice. Fry for about 5 minutes and add some peas. I add frozen organic peas straight from the freezer.
IMG_6533

Once the peas are cooked through, push the rice over and add a couple of eggs onto one side of your pan. Scramble them right in there.
IMG_6534
Lastly, incorporate it all together and you have a yummy nutritious lunch the kids will love in under 10 minutes.

IMG_6536
Do you have any great lunch ideas for kids? We would LOVE to hear them!



2 comments:

Jenna May 22, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

This does look like a much faster and easier version than the one I usually make, which would make it much more likely that I would actually make it at lunch time :0)!! Thanks for the idea!

Tiffany - The Coconut Mama May 27, 2010 at 10:02 AM  

What a great idea! I will be trying this recipe soon.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP