Baked Chicken with potatoes & carrots

>> 6.02.2010

This simple yet scrumptious dish has all the look and flavor of a meal that was slaved over in the kitchen for hours, but in reality requires very little prep time and very few ingredients.  A couple other benefits of this nutritious meal include the "left-overs" factor (there are almost always enough for another meal), and the seasoned chicken bones provide a great start to homemade chicken stock.  This is also a great meal to make when having guests for dinner as it allows you to be visiting while the oven does all the work.  We eat at 5 o'clock in our home so I do my prep work at about 3:15 pm and have it in the oven by 3:30 pm~ that's all. =)

Ingredients:

  • 1 (3.5-4.5 lb) Whole Fryer Chicken (we prefer organic free-range)
  • 5 large organic Russet Potatoes, peeled and largely cubed
  • 7 organic Carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
  • All-purpose Seasoning (we use a homemade one but Jen using a great one from U.S. Wellness Meats)
  • Water for basting
Directions:
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 375°.
  2. After removing the gibblets, rinse the chicken with water and pat dry with a paper towel.  Heavily season all sides of the chicken and lay breast-side up in a large baking pan.  Secure the chicken legs together with kitchen twine (thread works fine too).
  3. Spread your potatoes and carrots around the chicken, sprinkle with the all-purpose seasoning and mix together.  Bake, uncovered, for 1¼ to 1½ hours (or until juices run clear), remembering to baste about every 15 minutes.  Enjoy!

This post is part of Pennywise Platter Thursday
 Photobucket

3 comments:

TryonMom27 June 4, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

I have been looking for simple whole chicken recipes. I just signed up to received a family bulk of organic meats from a local farmer. I get 4 of these every month!! Anyway, I was wondering how many people this will feed in your family? thanks. BTW, I found your recipe through the Nourishing Gourmet pennywise platter. It just looks so good. Thanks.

Jessica Jones June 4, 2010 at 6:41 PM  

Can you post your all-purpose seasonging please.

Anne June 4, 2010 at 11:15 PM  

Daily Grace~
This feeds my husband and myself and my 3 boys, with enough leftovers for lunch. Thanks for looking around the blog!

Jessica~
I wish I had the recipe for our seasoning~ my aunt developed the recipe years ago and finally gave it to my mom 2 a few years back, but mom was sworn to secrecy. Everytime I run out I have to call mom and have her make it for me. =) Try www.passionatehomemaking.com and look under her recipe index... I'm pretty sure she has a seasoned salt recipe. Let us know if what spice combinations you come up with! =)

Anne

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP