Asparagus Risotto

>> 4.19.2010



This warm and creamy traditional Italian side dish was made from a mix of fresh asparagus from my Abundant Harvest box and arborio rice.  I must admit that, while my husband and I love risotto of all kinds, my children are not crazy about this dish.  They love rice in general, just not "the slippery kind".  What can I say~ I have little boys. =)
  • 1 lb. fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 3 cups homemade chicken broth*
  • 2 cups water*
  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • 1/2 onion, diced (or shallots)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup white wine
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • Butter or Olive Oil for sautéing
  • Celtic Sea Salt and Pepper, to taste*
*As to the chicken broth and water, you may use all chicken broth, as I did, just make sure to not add any salt.  The flavor will be very, very rich (which we prefer) if you do not cut it with the water.

  1.  In a saucepan combine the chicken broth and water and heat on med-high until simmering.  Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
  2. In a large skillet cook the asparagus in about 3 TBS butter until tender-crisp.  Remove the asparagus and keep warm.
  3. In the same skillet sauté the onion and garlic for about 3 minutes in your choice of fat.  Add the rice and cook another 2 minutes.  Add in the wine, deglazing the pan with it until most-to-all of the liquid has evaporated. 
  4. Increase the heat to a med-high and add in 1 cup of the broth-water mixture.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid has been absorbed.  Continue stirring and adding 1 cup of the liquid at a time, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding the next.  This should take between 25 and 30 minutes, until the rice is tender and the texture is creamy.
  5. Stir in the asparagus, cream, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese and simmer another 2 or 3 minutes.  Serve immediately. 
I paired this with grilled chicken and a salad for dinner, although it is more than filling to enjoy as a meal of its own!  

Photobucket

1 comments:

Swimwife April 20, 2010 at 6:40 PM  

Hi girls:) Summer and I decided we should start our own blog about us cooking your recipes! We are going to cal it "A little bit of This, and a little bit of That" :)
Ok just kidding!
Now on a more serious note..we absolutely loved this recipe. I have tried to cook risotto before and it did not turn out. Your recipe and directions were flawless. I used 3.5 cups of broth and 1.5 cups water and I did not season at all with salt and pepper. I used 3/4 cup of dry white wine and it was perfect! I grilled some chicken and cut it up and added it in and served as a meal. Everyone loved it!
Thank you for always blessing my family with your wonderful recipes!
Love you

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP